25 March 2010

Creating Violets Using the Butterfly Punch

Spring Violets

I've always liked the vibrant colors of violets, and when I saw a picture of a card made with this technique, I knew I had to try it. I don't remember who it was that first created these flowers but as soon as I do I will link their card here.


To make these flowers use our butterfly punch and watercolor cardstock. Punch out 2 butterflies. Color the centers with Summer Sun Marker and the outside with Lovely Lilac. Don't completely color the cardstock with your markers. Just scribble along edge and the centers then use the Aqua Pen to watercolor and blend. It's that simple. I do recommend water coloring the centers then water coloring the edges last. Layer the butterflies, connect with a brad (I used black) and glue/tape to your card. You could also try watercolor paint, or watercolor crayons.

To make the oval and scallop oval layers I used my Colluzzle for the Summer Sun and then cut a strip of Lovely Lilac and scalloped the edge with the Scallop Edge punch. Cut snips into the scallop strip (the bottom edge, not the scallop edge) and lay it on to the back edge of the Summer Sun layer. Adhere with our sticky strip to get a good hold.

The first card comes from Lorraine Rowe, created on 03/25/2010.



And the second card from Mary Jo Price-Williams




It may not look that easy but it certainly was. The beautiful pansy flowers are made on Shimmery White paper using the re-inker spread technique. First I punched out two butterflies for each flower. Then with a fine mist spritzer spray water on the butterflies. One they are nice and wet go around the edges with a paint brush loaded with re-inker. I used Elegant Eggplant re-inker. Be sure to let your flowers dry before trying to put brads through the middle or you will be starting over, lol (don't ask). The leaves are the five petal flower punch.

Stamps: Brighter Tomorrow
Paper: Elegant Eggplant, Whisper White, Orchid Opulence, Shimmery White
Ink: Versa Mark
Other: white embossing powder, Brads, embossing folder, butterfly punch, five petal flower punch, re-inkers, paint brush, water spritzer, marker


No comments: