11 March 2010

Make A Rose From The Ornament Punch

Ornament Punch Rose Tutorial

by Becky Jensen on March 10, 2010

Vintage Vogue Stamp Set

This is a remake of a tissue box that I showed you last week. I promised you a tutorial for the rose and it’s time!

Stampin' Up! Ornament Punch

I started with 25 ornament punches in Whisper White. The more punches you have the fuller your rose will be. The ornament punch was offered by Stampin’ Up! in the Holiday Mini Catalog but I have good news for you! The punch is not pictured in any of the current catalogs, however, it is still available! The item number is 116794 and it costs $15.95.

Sponging with Pretty in Pink

I want the rose to have two tones so I am sponging the edges of the punches with Pretty in Pink Classic ink.

Embossing Stylus

I used a stylus to curl the edges of each ornament punch (petal). You want about 1/3 of the petals to be curled slightly, 1/3 curled so they look like a U when you look from a side view, 1/3 curled considerably and 1 totally curled. Is that as clear as vellum for you? Let me give you a picture that will hopefully define that better.

Ornament Punch Rose Petals

I hope that makes more sense now. For the tighter curls I grabbed a thin paint brushed to wrap the punches around.

1 3/4" Circle Punch

Punch a 1 3/4″ Circle and then start working around the circle to adhere the petals. Begin with the least curled petals. I am using Sticky Strip because I want to make sure once all the weight of the flower is added it’s going to stay in place.

Work in a circle

Continue working around the circle to attach the petals. Use up all of the least curled petals and then work to the next level saving the most curled for the end.

Ornament Punch Rose Coming into Shape

As you get closer to the center of the flower you’ll want to make the edges of your petals overlap more, this will help to lift them up and give the flower shape.

Paper Rose

There is just one more piece to insert, the most curled petal. You will know when it’s time to put in the last petal, it’ll be the last one you can possibly fit in there. I started with 25 petals and used 23 of them.

Paper Rose

The rose looks great but it is no complete without some leaves to frame it.

Ornament Punch Leaves

I punched out three of the ornament punches from Mellow Moss and then used an Always Artichoke Stampin’ Write marker to draw in the vein lines.

Creating a paper leaf

I sponged on some Always Artichoke Classic ink and then used paper snips to cut a zig zag edge on of the leaves.

Bottom of the flower

Tuck the leaves behind the flower. (This a view of the bottom of the finished project.)

Paper Rose made from the Stampin' Up! Ornament Punch

And here we are! What do you think? I know the tutorial is long and may seem like it would take a long time to make one of these but I can tell you that it really doesn’t take all that long. I spent way more time typing this tutorial than it takes to make one of these flowers!

Now obviously with all these layers you’re not going to be able to put this flower on a card and mail it. A rose like this one is meant for a good size 3-D project or at least a card you’re planning to hand deliver! I have seen some other versions of this flower, some of them with fewer petals making it less bulky. You may wish to check them out, the ladies offering them are: Chera Wiest (who originally inspired me), Shawna MacKenzie,and Rhea Anderson.


No comments: