06 February 2008

11 January 2008 - It's been a while...

11 January 2008

Wow, it's been about 2.5 months since my last post! It would appear that I've been very busy with something.

I was in the hospital for two weeks (from 7 November thru 21 November) due to colon complications. What started out as abdominal tenderness turned into something much more serious. After a second colonoscopy, in as many days, I was found to have ischemia, diverticulosis and irritable bowel disease of the sigmoid colon, and ulcers in the mid transverse colon. Lying on your back for two weeks, and being served only broth and yellow jello for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, makes one weak. When I was released from the hospital, I needed a walker to get around, for about a month. I had home health nurses and physical therapists visit me twice a week for a month. I'm feeling much better now, but need to return to my Gastroenterologist next month for another colonoscopy. We need to see if the ischemia (dying colon due to lack of oxygen to the blood vessels) is improving on its own, or if I will require surgery. I think it's healing on its own, as my functions appear to be working somewhat properly now.

I wasn't able to complete my photography workshop, as the hospital stay was right in the middle of the class. I should be able to finish up in the Spring. I'm looking forward to that.

No comments: